Dayton Township, Marshall County, South Dakota

     Dayton township lies in the northwest corner of the county, and the surface is quite rolling with the exception of an apparent depression or valley, or more properly, there is a low range of hills extending from the southeast corner of the township along the town line, west and then north, with a turn to the northeast, forming a semi-circle; in this semi-circle lies the valley mentioned, which contains the majority of the settlers. An abundance of water is obtained at a depth of fifteen to thirty feet. The soil in the valley is rich and productive, while the hills contain some good land, much of it is sandy, and in going northwest out of this county we find numerous sand-hills extending into adjoining counties. These sand-hills or rather the adjacent land seems to be the native home of the strawberry. Wagon loads of persons from all directions can be seen daily making for the hills about June 20th.
     This township was organized as a school township in 1883 and included the north half of Stena Township, and was known as Hartford until 1885, when it was organized as a civil township, only containing a congressional township, six miles square and named Dayton.
     The stage route from Groton to Lisbon via Detroit, Stena and Dayton, was established in July, 1883, and the Dayton post office in March, 1884, at Joseph Hedger's. They now have two good school-horses, but recently completed and well furnished.
     Joseph U. B. Hedger, from Brunswick, Mo., located on section 35, May 1st, 1883, and was among the first to locate in this township. Mr. Hedger .was born in Dark County, Ohio, came to Michigan in 1845, enlisted in Co. "I," Twenty-fourth Infantry Regiment at Detroit, August 15, 1862. Was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness, Virginia, May 5, 1864. After the close of the war he went to Missouri, where he resided fourteen years.
H. J. Chadwick came here from Adams County, Iowa, about the same time Mr. Hedger did, and settled on section 25.
Mr. Chadwick was born in Washington county, N. Y., and came to Cedar county, Iowa, in 1847, with his parents; served in Co, K," Thirty-fifth Iowa Infantry, from July 24th, 1862 to August, 1865.
     The writer had the pleasure of meeting quite a large number of Dayton citizens at their annual school meeting, and through their courtesy secured the names of settler's not present and other information relative to the township. About all of the following named settlers came here in 1883-4, and a few in the last year.
Wm. Mitchell and J. B. Loomis, from North Freedom, settled on section 1.
Wm. McKay, from Michigan, section 1.
Elmer Donaldson, from Allegany County, N. Y., section 2.
Geo. W. Loomis from North Freedom, Wis., section 4;
O. S. Hackett, from the same place, located on section 4 in '85.
J. Moore, from Chicago, Ill., section 4.
Herman Stabinaw, from North Freedom, Wis., section 9.
Wm. A. Fuller, from Michigan, section 9. H. Bartlett, from Glenco, Ont., section 9.
G. W. Trask, originally from New Hampshire, came here from Wisconsin and settled on section 10.
P. C. Fisher, from Chicago, Ill., section 10.
Joseph Ruck, from Whiteside County, Ill., section 11.
C. W. Atkins, from La Salle Co., Ill., section 12.
Albert Fuller, from North Freedom, Wis., section 12.
John Oakes, from Dane Co., Wis., section 12.
C. Grimm, from Des Moines, Ia., section 13.
Mrs. Sarah Ackers, from Lake View, Ia., section 13.
Wm. Nelson, from Meeker Co., Minn., section 14.
J. H. Taylor, from Terre Haute, Ind., section 14.
James R. Gilbert, from Eaton Co., Mich., section 17.
Geo. Bingham, from Meeker Co., Minn., section 20.
D. S. Hastings, from Colorado, section 21.
Frank Nelson and D. McKinley, from Meeker Co.; Minn., section 22.
The Haights are from Columbus Wis. E. H. Haight, section 22.
R. B. Haight, W. H. Haight and J. E. Haight, all settled on section 23, and F.  Haight on section 24.
C. H. Lambert, from Cresco, Ia., section 24.
P. Ralston, from Adams Co., Ia., section 26.
Wm. Nale, from Hunting Co., Pa., section 28.
The Misses Cora and Jessie Comstock, from Renville Co., Minn., section 29:
Geo. Comstock, from Montcalm Co., Mich., section. 33.
John Taylor, from Terre Haute, Ind., settled on section 34;
Gus. Pierce, on the same section, came from Minnesota.

Victor | White | Newark | Dayton | Stena | Britton | Miller | Pleasant Valley | Waverly | Lowell | Newport | Hickman | Langford-Hickman |Sisseton |Fractional

Search South Dakota Genealogy

Marshall County

Marshall County Early History
Marshall County Government
Marshall County Topography
Marshall County Pioneer Homes
Organization Of Marshall County
Marshall County Military Reservations
Marshall County Indian Reservations
Marshall County Indian Government
Dakota Daylight
Personal narrative by Samuel Denton
Sketch of Charles Bailey
Townships
Victor
White
Newark
Village of Newark
Dayton
Stena
Miller
Britton
Pleasant Valley
Waverly
Lowell
Weston
Newport
Hickman
Langford - Hickman
Sisseton
Settlers On Fractional Township

South Dakota Counties

Marshall

South Dakota Genealogy Records

South Dakota Archives
South Dakota Bible Records
South Dakota Biographies
South Dakota Cemeteries
South Dakota Census Records
South Dakota Church Records
South Dakota Court Records
South Dakota Directories
South Dakota Land Records
South Dakota Mailing Lists
South Dakota Maps
South Dakota Indian Tribes
South Dakota Newspapers and Obituaries
South Dakota Genealogical Societies
South Dakota Wills
Martha Jane Cannary

Other South Dakota Resources

Access Free South Dakota Genealogy

Cyndi's Nebraska Page

United States Genealogy Gateway

AHGP

ALHN

USGenWeb

Genealogy Gateway
Genealogy Update
RootsWeb
Surname Guide
Surname Web

Report a Broken Link
Please let us know if one of our links don't work!!

South Dakota Genealogy

Copyright 2002-2017 by South Dakota Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.