Langford-Hickman Township, Marshall County, South Dakota

     Langford is situated on a gentle rise of ground, commanding a good view of the surrounding country, and is located on sections 29 and 32. J. N. Lindley, from Fox Lake, Wis., located on NW 4 sec. 32 in 1883, and last June gave the railroad company a divided half of his claim to locate the town site there. Geo. Cole, from Minnesota, settled on SW sec. 29 in 1883, and sold his claim to the railroad company. Langford was surveyed by Sam Denton, and a plat of 190 acres completed July 1, 1886, on the same day that the railroad track reached there. Up to the present date, July 10, quite a number of buildings -are rapidly approaching completion. Jno. A. Edmands, of Andover, had a large shanty hauled here June 20, and put in a stock of hardware; is the first business place established in Langford. Daniel W. Farquhar, the blacksmith, came here from Groton and put up his shop the next day after Edmand's shanty arrived. Mr. Farquhar is one of the old veterans of the rebellion.
     The railroad company built a section house and had it shingled July 8. The depot is well under way and will be completed in a short time. Hamilton and Shepard, from Winona, Minn., under the firm name of the Dakota Lumber Co., have their lumber office nearly completed. T. N. Daniels, from Groton, erected a temporary hotel. J. N. Lindley, real estate and insurance agent, has his office completed. Mr. Lindley dug the first well in town, near the depot; it is 23 feet deep, with an abundance of good water. A. Folsom, from New Hampshire, came to the Sisseton Agency in 1876, where he clerked several years, and can talk "Injun" like a Sioux. Later clerked in Webster and Andover. May 1, 1886, put in a stock of groceries in the Babcock-Brown store at Haupt. Mr. Folsom built a large store, and has the first general merchandise store in the village.
     G. G. Green and P. O. Melland, from Groton, have about completed their pioneer restaurant. Labord and Langhorn put up a shanty at Haupt last. June and opened a saloon; on the 7th inst. moved to Langford. McCord and Newland will shortly erect a paint and sign writing shop. Several elevators and business places will be completed after harvest. Langford possesses every advantage to become a first-class railroad town.

Victor | White | Newark | Dayton | Stena | Britton | Miller | Pleasant Valley | Waverly | Lowell | Newport | Hickman | Langford-Hickman |Sisseton |Fractional

Search South Dakota Genealogy

Marshall County

Marshall County Early History
Marshall County Government
Marshall County Topography
Marshall County Pioneer Homes
Organization Of Marshall County
Marshall County Military Reservations
Marshall County Indian Reservations
Marshall County Indian Government
Dakota Daylight
Personal narrative by Samuel Denton
Sketch of Charles Bailey
Townships
Victor
White
Newark
Village of Newark
Dayton
Stena
Miller
Britton
Pleasant Valley
Waverly
Lowell
Weston
Newport
Hickman
Langford - Hickman
Sisseton
Settlers On Fractional Township

South Dakota Counties

Marshall

South Dakota Genealogy Records

South Dakota Archives
South Dakota Bible Records
South Dakota Biographies
South Dakota Cemeteries
South Dakota Census Records
South Dakota Church Records
South Dakota Court Records
South Dakota Directories
South Dakota Land Records
South Dakota Mailing Lists
South Dakota Maps
South Dakota Indian Tribes
South Dakota Newspapers and Obituaries
South Dakota Genealogical Societies
South Dakota Wills
Martha Jane Cannary

Other South Dakota Resources

Access Free South Dakota Genealogy

Cyndi's Nebraska Page

United States Genealogy Gateway

AHGP

ALHN

USGenWeb

Genealogy Gateway
Genealogy Update
RootsWeb
Surname Guide
Surname Web

Report a Broken Link
Please let us know if one of our links don't work!!

South Dakota Genealogy

Copyright 2002-2017 by South Dakota Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.