White Township, Marshall County, South Dakota

     With the exception of the spur of hills extending into the southern corner of the township from Miller township, it is quite level. The Wild Rice slough runs through it to the north,
     Geo. W. White, originally from Ohio, came here from Richland county, Dak., located his claim July 20, 1882. Wm. Linse, from Wilkins county, Minn., located his claim, Section 12, about or a short time prior to White's settlement. Nels Otland, on Section 14, was in all probability the first one in the township to commence improvements. The evidence on this point is very unsatisfactory and conflicting. It seems that Mr. White erected the first frame dwelling, while Mr. Linse broke sixty acres that season, and built his present residence late that fall. It appears that the above named families were the only ones that wintered here in '82-'3. Many of the settlers secured their claims that summer, but returned east, and came out again the next spring, 1883, when all the vacant land was settled.

Rev. Conrad Oertli, from Otter Tail County, Minn., section 13. He was for fourteen years a minister of the German Evangelical Association, and still preaches in both German and English.

L. C. and E. Stiles, from River Falls, Wis., settled on sections 16 and 17.
Austin Ryan, from St. Croix County, Wis., section 17.
Peter Seibel, from Fargo, Dak. section 8.
O. P. Hanks, from Elkhart, Ind., section 17.
Miles Smart, from River Falls, Wis., section 17.

The Smith family settled as follows: Nelson, section 18; Manning, section 20; Albert, section 9; and Miss Emma D., section 20. Norman bought out his sister Emma. They came from New Brunswick, British America.

E. Watts, from New York, section 18.
Jno. M. Schusler and Harry Schissler, from Fargo, Dak. section 19.
Geo. Sherburn, from River Falls, Wis., section 19.
Roswell and Frank Chapin, from River Falls, Wis., section 21. They were formerly from Ogdensburg, N. Y.
Geo. Chapin, section 21.
Mrs. E. Grant and sons J. P. and A. R., from Wright County, Minn., settled on sections 5 and 6.
Dr. S. E. Dean from Wright County, Minn., section 6.
H. W. Coats, from Fair Haven, Minn., section 6.
J. J. Leeson and J. H. Sullivan, from Wright County, Minn., sections 6 and 7.
Chas. Brown, from Cleveland, Ohio, section 7.
Peter Kelly, from River Falls, Minn., section 29. Robt. Young, from Minnesota, section 28.
Perry Millender, from Holding's Ford, Minn., section 35.
Chas. and Stanton James, from Holding's Ford, Minn., section 34.
Joseph Fugate, from Minnesota, section 34.
Robt. Thompson and Jasper Compton, from Holding's Ford, Minn., sections 26 and 27.
Thos. Colby, from Wahpeton, section 26.
M. Leland, from ;Colfax, Dak., section 13.
August Bosse, from Otter Tail County, Minn., section 13.
Christopher Toole, from Carver County, Minn., section 1.
Martin Drachder, from St. Cloud, Minn., section 1.

     There is a large Scandinavian element in the township, nearly all from Minnesota.
Ole Ruswick, from Wahpeton, section 3. Mr. Ruswick was elected county commissioner July, 1885.
John and Ole Oleson, section 15.
Jacob Hauson, section 15.
Christ Stokke, section 11.
Peter Nyquist, section 11.
Frank Miller, from Otter Tail County, Minn., section 24.
Wm. Theisen, from Tremblean County, Wis., section 25.
Jno. Hovren, section 10, and his brother James on section 2, are from La Crosse, Wis.
Ole Knutson and Paul Christianson, section 4;
Emile Mathiason, section 3; Benj. Mathiason, his father, section 9, are from Chicago.
Jno. Paulson, section 9.
Amond Wegand, section 10.
Evan Bradstreet, section 10.
S. Haverly, section 15. Chas. Dennetz, section 33.
Alfred Johnson, section 33.
Wm. Hartle, from Steele County, Minn., section 31.
Ole Hanson, from Noble County, Minn., section 32.
Jacob Hanson and John Moen, section 22.
Amun Christianson and Christian Cleffsted, brothers, section 22.
B. C. Ollend, Ole Hollen and John Anderson, section 23.
Jno. Haverly, section 14.
Paul H. Holen, section 15.
R. C. Back, section 26.
Iver Emerson and A. Cleffsted, section 7.
Alex. Mickels and Gust. Narrane, section 28.
     Newark was included in White School Township, organized in June, 1883, and named for Geo. W. White. They have three large substantial school houses. Newark was set off last winter.

Victor | White | Newark | Dayton | Stena | Britton | Miller | Pleasant Valley | Waverly | Lowell | Newport | Hickman | Langford-Hickman |Sisseton |Fractional

Search South Dakota Genealogy

Marshall County

Marshall County Early History
Marshall County Government
Marshall County Topography
Marshall County Pioneer Homes
Organization Of Marshall County
Marshall County Military Reservations
Marshall County Indian Reservations
Marshall County Indian Government
Dakota Daylight
Personal narrative by Samuel Denton
Sketch of Charles Bailey
Townships
Victor
White
Newark
Village of Newark
Dayton
Stena
Miller
Britton
Pleasant Valley
Waverly
Lowell
Weston
Newport
Hickman
Langford - Hickman
Sisseton
Settlers On Fractional Township

South Dakota Counties

Marshall

South Dakota Genealogy Records

South Dakota Archives
South Dakota Bible Records
South Dakota Biographies
South Dakota Cemeteries
South Dakota Census Records
South Dakota Church Records
South Dakota Court Records
South Dakota Directories
South Dakota Land Records
South Dakota Mailing Lists
South Dakota Maps
South Dakota Indian Tribes
South Dakota Newspapers and Obituaries
South Dakota Genealogical Societies
South Dakota Wills
Martha Jane Cannary

Other South Dakota Resources

Access Free South Dakota Genealogy

Cyndi's Nebraska Page

United States Genealogy Gateway

AHGP

ALHN

USGenWeb

Genealogy Gateway
Genealogy Update
RootsWeb
Surname Guide
Surname Web

Report a Broken Link
Please let us know if one of our links don't work!!

South Dakota Genealogy

Copyright 2002-2017 by South Dakota Genealogy
The WebPages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission.