George S. Adams, M.D., is a highly regarded and accomplished member of the medical profession in Yankton, South Dakota. Born in Michigan, he grew up in South Dakota and pursued his education at State Agricultural College and Rush Medical College. Graduating with a degree in Medicine, Dr. Adams began his career as an assistant physician at the state hospital for the insane in Yankton, where he continues to serve with great dedication. He is esteemed for his abilities and discernment in his profession. As a Republican, Dr. Adams is also affiliated with St. John’s Lodge, No. 1, Free and Accepted Masons.
The west half of Sisseton township lies on the same plateau as the east half of Hickman township, and with the exception of several deep coulees is quite level. The east half lies up in the hills, and in places is considerable broken and stony, and contains numerous marshes and meadows and occasionally a large pond. The settlers in this part of the township have considerable good tillable land by removing a few stones. In the spring of ’85 was organized as a school township, and this year built two good schoolhouses. Has not yet been organized as a civil
Waverly township, with the exception of the northwestern part, lies on a gradual elevation which finally terminates in the hills. Two-thirds of this township is fine tillable land, the remainder good grazing land, being well supplied with, water. In the eastern part of the township there are two deep gulches or coulees about one mile apart and both running west. They must have contained very heavy timber years ago, judging from stumps still remaining, several feet in diameter. Wood contractors gobbled it, hauling it to the fort. What remained was taken by the settlers from all parts of the county.
Newark Township lies west of White township, and for school purposes was included in the same until last spring, when it was set off. The surface is slightly rolling and the soil fertile and productive. It was not until April 10th, 1883, that the settlement of the township began. On that day, Homer Johnson and his sons, Fred and Stark, located on section 14 and put up the first claim shanty in the township. Mr. Johnson was born in Ovid, Seneca County, New York, and came here from Plymouth, Michigan. On April 15th, 1883, P. C. Howell, C. and J.