Leroy D. Miller, a native of St. Joseph, Missouri, was born on February 24, 1869. After his father’s passing, his mother remarried and the family relocated to South Dakota. Miller received his education in the local public schools before embarking on a career in the grain industry. Eventually, he ventured into the livery business and established a successful enterprise in Sioux Falls. With top-notch equipment and a dedicated work ethic, Miller built a thriving business with a wide range of services, including livery, hack and transfer, and even an undertaking department. He is a staunch supporter of the Republican Party and actively involved in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Hosea Bridgman was born in Cook County, Illinois, and spent his early years in Wisconsin. He ventured into photography and later operated a successful meat market before relocating to South Dakota in 1874. In Springfield, he built a thriving freighting business and eventually turned his focus to farming and livestock. With hard work and strategic investments, he expanded his land holdings to nearly 480 acres of productive farmland. Highly respected in his community, Bridgman was known for his integrity and dedication. He also raised a family, providing his children with quality education and leaving a commendable military legacy from his service in the Civil War.
Fred S. Pew, a prime example of progressive spirit and conservative business judgment, has played a significant role in the industrial and civic advancement of the West. As vice-president of the Citizens’ State Bank and president of the Day County Land Company and Andover Hotel Company, Pew’s influence extends across various capitalistic interests. Born in New York in 1861, he ventured to Dakota in 1881 and settled in Andover in 1883. With a successful background in livery and real estate, Pew became instrumental in organizing the Day County Land Company and played a key role in the establishment of the
Miller township is centrally located and the surface slightly undulating, with the exception of the quite prominent elevation upon which Britton is located. This low range of hills commences in the southwest corner of the township and gradually rises higher, and extends across the northwestern part of Pleasant Valley township into White township, where it abruptly terminates, Between this point , and the Coteaus there is a gap through which the Wild Rice flows north. All of this elevation is good farming land, and the best of water is easily obtained almost anywhere. This township was not surveyed until the
Stena township lies south of Dayton township, and until 1885 was divided and belonged to both Norwich and Hartford school townships. There is quite an apparent rise of ground from the south town line, to the north town line, gradually merging into the elevation mentioned in Dayton Township. Through the south tier of section there is a water course or coulee and the land is naturally level and in some places low. This township was not surveyed until August, 1883, and came in market the following October. They have now four school houses. In the fall of 1882, Geo. H.
White Township, with the exception of the spur of hills extending into the southern corner of the township from Miller township, is quite level. The Wild Rice slough runs through it to the north, Geo. W. White, originally from Ohio, came here from Richland county, Dakota, located his claim July 20, 1882. Wm. Linse, from Wilkin county, Minnesota, located his claim, Section 12, about or a short time prior to White‘s settlement. Nels Otland, on Section 14, was in all probability the first one in the township to commence improvements. The evidence on this point is very unsatisfactory and conflicting.