Allen

History of South Dakota vol 1 title page

Biography of George H. Pinckney

George H. Pinckney, an esteemed auditor of Grant County, South Dakota, has been a resident since 1887, achieving success through his dedicated efforts. Born in New York in 1867, he was raised in Minnesota and educated in its public schools. After a brief period of teaching, Pinckney moved to South Dakota and engaged in farming before acquiring his own property in Grant County. A committed Republican, he garnered support for his election as County Auditor. Pinckney remains an influential figure, maintaining his farm and actively participating in organizations such as the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife, Helen Allen, have four children: Hazel, Nada, Gladys, and Francis.

Biography of George H. Pinckney Read More »

History of Marshall County Dakota title page

History of Waverly Township

Waverly township, with the exception of the northwestern part, lies on a gradual elevation which finally terminates in the hills. Two-thirds of this township is fine tillable land, the remainder good grazing land, being well supplied with, water. In the eastern part of the township there are two deep gulches or coulees about one mile apart and both running west. They must have contained very heavy timber years ago, judging from stumps still remaining, several feet in diameter. Wood contractors gobbled it, hauling it to the fort. What remained was taken by the settlers from all parts of the county.

History of Waverly Township Read More »

History of Marshall County Dakota title page

History of Newark Township

Newark Township lies west of White township, and for school purposes was included in the same until last spring, when it was set off. The surface is slightly rolling and the soil fertile and productive. It was not until April 10th, 1883, that the settlement of the township began. On that day, Homer Johnson and his sons, Fred and Stark, located on section 14 and put up the first claim shanty in the township. Mr. Johnson was born in Ovid, Seneca County, New York, and came here from Plymouth, Michigan. On April 15th, 1883, P. C. Howell, C. and J.

History of Newark Township Read More »

Scroll to Top