Dr. Cora W. Carpenter, a dedicated physician and surgeon, has made significant contributions to the medical profession in Sioux Falls. Born in Des Moines, Iowa, she completed her education in Fargo, North Dakota, before pursuing her medical studies at the College of Physicians and Surgeons affiliated with the University of Illinois. With a strong professional enthusiasm and extensive technical knowledge, Dr. Carpenter established herself in Sioux Falls in 1902. Her exceptional skills and compassionate approach have earned her great success, evident in her well-equipped office located in the Minnehaha building. Dr. Carpenter’s commitment to her profession and unwavering dedication to her patients continue to inspire and uplift the community.
CORA W. CARPENTER, M. D.— Greater than in all other lines of endeavor to which one can direct his attention is the responsibility that rests upon the physician and surgeon, in whose hands often rest the very destinies of life itself. This noble profession, in which pity must become a motive rather than a mere emotion, most consistently may enlist the services of the woman practitioner, and each year shows a greater popular appreciation of her intervention in this great work. The city of Sioux Falls has an able representative of the medical profession in Dr. Carpenter, who has here established herself in a successful and representative practice, faithfully doing the work which comes to her hand and demanding no concessions by reason of her sex, as she is strong in her professional enthusiasm and in the intimate technical knowledge which is demanded in general practice.
Dr. Carpenter is a native of the state of Iowa, having been born in the city of Des Moines, on the 30th of December, 1868, and being a daughter of John A. and Florida (Boone) White, who are yet both living, the former being a farmer by vocation, being a native of Ohio, and the mother of Indiana. The Doctor secured her preliminary educational discipline in the public schools of her native city, and accompanied her parents on their removal to Fargo, North Dakota, in 1882, completing a course in the high school of that city and being graduated as a member of the class of 1888. Having determined to prepare herself for the medical profession, Dr. Carpenter was matriculated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, affiliated with the University of Illinois, in 1897, completing the prescribed course and being graduated as a member of the class of 1901, receiving her degree of Doctor of Medicine. She also took a careful clinical course in the Frances Willard Hospital, in the city of Chicago, thus coming forth especially well-fortified for the active work of her chosen profession. In January 1902, Dr. Carpenter came to Sioux Falls and established herself in practice, and the best evidence of her technical ability and gracious personality is that afforded by the unequivocal success which has attended her efforts, her attractive and well-equipped office being located in the Minnehaha building.