George R. Sagar, a successful young businessman in Colman, Moody County, is engaged in the drug and jewelry business as a partner in Sagar & Stetzel. With a strong educational foundation and experience working in his brother’s drug store, he pursued further studies at the New York School of Pharmacy. After gaining valuable knowledge, he traveled as a salesman before settling in Colman, where he established a thriving drug business. In 1902, he formed a partnership with jeweler Roy L. Stetzel. A Republican and member of the Modern Woodmen of America, Sagar has been an active member of the Presbyterian church since 1891.
GEORGE R. SAGAR is one of the popular and representative young businessmen of the thriving town of Colman, Moody County, being engaged in the drug and jewelry business, under the firm name of Sagar & Stetzel, while he personally devotes his attention to the drug department of the enterprise.
George Raymond Sagar was born in Plainville, Onondaga County, New York, on the 22nd of September, 1873, and is a son of William Henry and Catherine Sagar, who settled in that county about 1850, having driven overland from near the city of Albany and taken up their residence about eighteen miles west of Syracuse, where the father was for a number of years engaged in agricultural pursuits, while later he gave his attention to the trades of carpentry and painting. The lineage is traced back to the sturdy Dutch stock who settled in New Amsterdam, the nucleus of the present city of New York. The subject of this sketch secured his early education in the public schools of his native town, and at the age of fourteen years, he entered Baldwinsville Academy, in which institution he continued his studies for two years. After leaving school, he took a clerical position in the drug store of his brother, Charles H. Sagar, in Auburn, New York, and was thus employed for three years, gaining an excellent knowledge of the business in many of its details. In order to perfect himself in the profession of pharmacy, he then entered, in the fall of 1892, the New York School of Pharmacy, in the national metropolis, where he completed a two-year course, being graduated in the spring of 1894. He remained in the city of New York until January 1898 when he came west to the city of Duluth, Minnesota, and thereafter he traveled as a salesman for the C. H. Sagar Drug Company until May of that year when he located in Castlewood, South Dakota. In October of the following year, he removed to Winfred, where he remained until April 1900, which continued to be his abiding place until the following September when he established himself in the drug business in Colman, where he has a select and comprehensive stock and where he has built up a flourishing business. In September 1902, he admitted to partnership Roy L. Stetzel, a jeweler, and they have since been associated in the dual enterprise, Mr. Stetzel devoting his attention to the jewelry department principally. In politics, Mr. Sagar is a Republican, and fraternally he is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America, which he joined in January 1899, and since January 1901, he has served as clerk of Colman Camp of this popular order. He has been a member of the Presbyterian church since 1891, having been received into the same in the city of Auburn, New York.
On the 2nd of April 1901, at Lawler, Iowa, Mr. Sagar was united in marriage to Miss Delina E. Miller, daughter of William C. Miller, of that place.