Biography of Doane Robinson

History of South Dakota vol 1 title page

Doane Robinson, born on October 19, 1856, in Sparta, Wisconsin, was the son of George McCook and Rhozina (Grow) Robinson, both from Revolutionary War lineage. He began his career as a country schoolteacher before moving to Lyon County, Minnesota, where he studied law. After relocating to Watertown, South Dakota, in 1883, Robinson became active in publishing, editing the *Yankton Gazette* and founding the *Monthly South Dakotan*. He also played a key role in establishing the South Dakota State Historical Society in 1901. Robinson authored several works, including a history textbook and a poetry collection. He married Jennie Austin in 1884, with whom he had two sons.

Biography of Charles L. Hyde

History of South Dakota vol 1 title page

Charles L. Hyde, born on June 23, 1861, in Pike County, Illinois, is the son of James F. and Hattie (Blake) Hyde. After attending Cumberland Presbyterian College, he moved to Colorado at 17, working as a cowboy. Later, he became a commercial traveler in the hardware trade. Hyde transitioned into real estate, moving to Pierre, South Dakota, in 1889, where he amassed extensive land holdings. He owns significant properties across multiple states and is considered one of South Dakota’s wealthiest citizens. Hyde, an independent in politics, is actively involved in several fraternal organizations and is a member of the Congregational church.

Biography of Richard Francis Robinson

History of South Dakota vol 1 title page

Dr. Richard Francis Robinson, born January 2, 1868, in Boston, Massachusetts, pursued a medical career after relocating to South Dakota in 1879. His father, Richard Tremaine Robinson, was a Civil War veteran and businessman, while his grandfather, William Day Robinson, emigrated from Nova Scotia in 1852. Dr. Robinson attended medical school in Boston, graduating in 1893, and later practiced in South Dakota. In 1897, he married Jennie Brennan in Egan, where he was active in community and professional organizations, including the South Dakota National Guard and local education and health boards. They had three children: Richard Tracy, Ada Frances, and Roger Chesley.

Biography of Ambrose B. Robinson

History of South Dakota vol 1 title page

Ambrose B. Robinson, born on July 18, 1857, in Broome County, New York, is the mayor of Frankfort, Spink County, South Dakota. Son of Edward and Eunice Robinson, he moved with his family to Iowa in the early 1860s and later to Wisconsin. Robinson engaged in lumbering before relocating to Frankfort in 1885, where he achieved success in various business ventures. A dedicated Republican, he was elected mayor in 1902. Robinson is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He married Alma Jane Ellis on March 27, 1881, and they have five children: Bessie M., Grace D., Clark A., Clare, and Zedna.

History of Weston Township

History of Marshall County Dakota title page

Weston township is settled mostly by Brown county settlers from Columbia and Groton, who came in early in the spring of 1883. The surface is somewhat undulating. There are two large depressions in southeast part, of about 500 acres, which yield an abundance of good hay. Originally included the south half of Stena township, and was known as Norwich. In the spring of ’85 was reorganized and named Weston. Now has three fine school-houses built last year. About October 1, 1882, H. H. Snow, from Clear Lake, Minn., settled on sec. 17. He was the first settler in the township … Read more

History of Stena Township

History of Marshall County Dakota title page

Stena township lies south of Dayton township, and until 1885 was divided and belonged to both Norwich and Hartford school townships. There is quite an apparent rise of ground from the south town line, to the north town line, gradually merging into the elevation mentioned in Dayton Township. Through the south tier of section there is a water course or coulee and the land is naturally level and in some places low. This township was not surveyed until August, 1883, and came in market the following October. They have now four school houses. In the fall of 1882, Geo. H. … Read more