David F. Jones, a prominent figure in the drug business in Watertown, is renowned as one of the leading representatives in the state. Born in Wisconsin in 1869, he pursued a career in pharmacy, graduating from Northwestern University in 1894. Jones established his own drug store in Watertown and gained recognition for his expertise and dedication to the field. Not only has he served as the president of the State Pharmaceutical Association and the state board of pharmacy, but he is also highly regarded as one of the most knowledgeable pharmacists and chemists in the region. In addition, Jones actively participates in local public affairs and holds a position on the board of aldermen.
DAVID F. JONES, who is successfully established in the drug business in the city of Watertown, is one of the leading representatives of this line of enterprise in the state and president of the state board of pharmacy. He was born in La Crosse County, Wisconsin, on the 27th of October, 1869, being a son of John W. and Hilary (Jones) Jones, both of whom were born and reared in Wales, where the father learned and followed the trade of cabinetmaking up to the time of his emigration to America. He located in La Crosse County, Wisconsin, where he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, in which he was successful, being one of the honored and substantial citizens of the Badger State. Monroe County became his permanent home.
The subject of this sketch was reared on the parental farmstead in Monroe County, Wisconsin, and after availing himself of the advantages of the district schools, he continued his studies in the high school at Sparta, where he completed the scientific course. Thereafter, he was for a time engaged in teaching, while he also served a thorough apprenticeship in a drug store in Barron, Wisconsin, while he was matriculated in the school of pharmacy of Northwestern University, at Evanston, Illinois, where he was graduated in 1894, receiving the degree of Graduate in Pharmacy. Soon after his graduation, in 1894, Mr. Jones came to Watertown and established himself in the drug business in the same stand which he now occupies, his brother, E. M. Jones, being at that time associated with him. In the following year, the subject was tendered the chair of pharmacy at the South Dakota State Agricultural College, at Brookings, accepting this offer and rendering effective service in that capacity during the ensuing collegiate year. At the expiration of which, in 1897, he was elected president of the State Pharmaceutical Association. The following year, he was appointed to fill a vacancy as a member of the state board of pharmacy by Governor Lee and served as president of that body for one year. In 1900, he was re-appointed a member of the board by Governor Herreid, being the incumbent of this position at the time of this writing and is also now serving for the second time as president, having rendered signally valuable service in the connection and being known as one of the most scientific and best-informed pharmacists and chemists in the state. He at all times manifests a loyal interest in public affairs of a local nature. He is currently a member of the board of aldermen of Watertown, representing the second ward, while his political allegiance is given to the Republican Party. He is now the sole owner of the drug business, which he established upon his arrival in the city, and he carries a large and comprehensive stock of drugs, chemicals, proprietary medicines, and sundries. He makes a specialty of prescription work as well as bacteriological and microscopical work. In his establishment, he carries a large stock of books and stationery. The pleasant home of Mr. Jones is located at 623 Carpenter Street and is a center of refined hospitality. Fraternally, he is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
On the 14th of February, 1896, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Mabel E. Coe, who was born in Illinois, being a daughter of C. D. and Alice Coe, who were residents of Barron, Wisconsin, where the marriage was solemnized.