Roy J. Sweet, the esteemed cashier of the First State Bank of South Shore, is a native of Glencoe County, Minnesota. Born in 1875, he hails from a family deeply rooted in Minnesota, with his father, William H. Sweet, having survived the tragic Indian outbreak of 1862. Roy J. Sweet’s remarkable career in banking began as an assistant cashier in Iowa, eventually leading him to his current position. Highly regarded for his expertise and careful approach to finance, he has played a pivotal role in the enduring success of the First State Bank. A respected figure in both professional and community spheres, Sweet’s dedication to the growth and well-being of his town has garnered him widespread admiration.
Svante Josephson, a respected citizen of Brule County, South Dakota, is an extensive landowner and successful farmer. Born in Sweden in 1840, he immigrated to America in 1863, working as a carpenter before settling in Iowa. In 1884, he moved to South Dakota, where he purchased land and developed a thriving farm. Today, his home ranch spans 800 acres, and he owns an additional 320-acre tract. Known for his progressive approach and dedication to education, Josephson serves on the school board and is an active member of the Presbyterian church. His children have also excelled, with one daughter becoming a popular teacher in Brule County.
Nils Forsberg, the treasurer of Grant County, South Dakota, is a highly esteemed citizen known for his energy and progressive spirit. Born in Sweden, he immigrated to America with his family as a child. After completing his education, he taught in the public schools of Grant County before entering politics. A staunch Republican, Forsberg served as county auditor and was later elected county treasurer, demonstrating his fiscal acumen and gaining popular support. He remains dedicated to the welfare of the county and state, actively participating in the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. Married to Anna S. Anderson, they have five children.
Ole Anderson, born in Norway in 1850, migrated to the United States in 1880, joining the influx of Scandinavian immigrants to the Northwest. Settling in South Dakota, he established himself as a respected farmer in Charles Mix County. Through diligent cultivation and the application of modern farming methods, Anderson transformed his raw land into a thriving estate. He raised livestock, including Poland China hogs and Durham cattle, and cultivated various crops. Anderson’s success exemplified the contribution of hardworking immigrants from northern Europe to the rapid development of the Northwest. He was regarded as a model farmer and a commendable citizen in his community.
Hemming Anderson, a Swedish native, embarked on a journey to America in 1882, seeking better opportunities. After landing in New York, he made his way to South Dakota and settled in Vermillion. With determination, he improved his land, starting from a humble tent and later upgrading to a sod house. Anderson’s hard work paid off as he transformed his farm into a prosperous enterprise, cultivating acres of land and raising livestock. He actively supported education and the Republican Party, while he and his wife remained dedicated members of the Lutheran Church. Despite the loss of two sons, their daughter thrived and became a respected member of the community.
The west half of Sisseton township lies on the same plateau as the east half of Hickman township, and with the exception of several deep coulees is quite level. The east half lies up in the hills, and in places is considerable broken and stony, and contains numerous marshes and meadows and occasionally a large pond. The settlers in this part of the township have considerable good tillable land by removing a few stones. In the spring of ’85 was organized as a school township, and this year built two good schoolhouses. Has not yet been organized as a civil
The surface of Newport township is level and has a large slough extending from north to south through its center. This slough has the appearance of having been a lake, perhaps centuries ago; the bottom is level and makes a good meadow. East of the slough, on sec. 16, the old earthworks of a fort remain to be seen. In all probability it was built by Gen Sibley in 1863-‘4, when he was through here hunting hostile Indians. The township is well settled and has three schoolhouses; before the division it belonged to Farmington, Day County. Pioneer Settlers of Newport
Weston township is settled mostly by Brown county settlers from Columbia and Groton, who came in early in the spring of 1883. The surface is somewhat undulating. There are two large depressions in southeast part, of about 500 acres, which yield an abundance of good hay. Originally included the south half of Stena township, and was known as Norwich. In the spring of ’85 was reorganized and named Weston. Now has three fine school-houses built last year. About October 1, 1882, H. H. Snow, from Clear Lake, Minn., settled on sec. 17. He was the first settler in the township
Lowell township lies west of Waverly and is quite level, and one of the most fertile townships in the county. In June, 1883, was included in Hickman school township, and in March, 1884. was set off and named Lowell, in honor of Judge Lowell, of Bristol, who for several years was chairman of the board of county commissioners of Day county. Lowell now has two good school-houses, built in 1885. Jay King, mentioned in Waverly, squatted on sec. 23 in the fall of ’82 and built a shack; afterwards filed homestead on sec. 26. In the winter of 1884-5 married
Miller township is centrally located and the surface slightly undulating, with the exception of the quite prominent elevation upon which Britton is located. This low range of hills commences in the southwest corner of the township and gradually rises higher, and extends across the northwestern part of Pleasant Valley township into White township, where it abruptly terminates, Between this point , and the Coteaus there is a gap through which the Wild Rice flows north. All of this elevation is good farming land, and the best of water is easily obtained almost anywhere. This township was not surveyed until the
White Township, with the exception of the spur of hills extending into the southern corner of the township from Miller township, is quite level. The Wild Rice slough runs through it to the north, Geo. W. White, originally from Ohio, came here from Richland county, Dakota, located his claim July 20, 1882. Wm. Linse, from Wilkin county, Minnesota, located his claim, Section 12, about or a short time prior to White‘s settlement. Nels Otland, on Section 14, was in all probability the first one in the township to commence improvements. The evidence on this point is very unsatisfactory and conflicting.
Victor Township lies in the northeast corner of the county, west of the Sisseton reservation and north of the military reservation and at present includes a strip three miles wide lying between it and the military reservation. The western part is quite level, while the eastern part extends up into the Coteaus. The principal part of the land in the hills is good farming land, free of stones and nearly all settled. There are five coulees emerging from the hills, four of which contain timber. Chas. Bailey, mentioned elsewhere, was the first settler on section 12. Peter Sirai, a native
Marthy Jane Cannary Biographies from the Memorial and Biographical Record These biographies are from “Memorial and biographical record; an illustrated compendium of biography, containing a compendium of local biography, including biographical sketches of prominent old settlers and representative citizens of South Dakota…” W. G. Ackerman Ell Nathan Aldrich Irwin D. Aldrich M. D. Alexander Andrew A. Anderson G. W. Anderson Oliver E. Anderson William Anderson James Oliver Andrews James J. Aplin Giles A. Baker Thomas Bandy Julian Bennett Dr. William S. Bentley Dr. S. N. Blair Joseph F. Bockler H. A. Booth George C. Bradley Christopher Brakke George Nelson Breed